Book LInks for EKU Reads Committee

Monday, July 9, 2007

Face Book and Libraries

As a library administrator, I always consider ways we utilize our human resources. The question is, "Is creating a library Facebook account time well-spent?" If the point of social software is connect people, then why would someone want to be friends with a library? I'd much rather add a librarian or person to my friend list. Obviously, there are people behind the library account, but you get my drift.

I also can't imagine all librarians wanting to define or expose themselves as the "Eastern Kentucky" network librarian. Perhaps this is the rational behind a library organization's presence instead of a personal presence? It seems to me that an organizational presence would limit the scope of the account and in some ways limit the human component that makes facebook appealing to so many.

Facebook can be considered just another strategy for outreach. Most people don't understand what we do. If we can put search boxes, book recommendations, and upcoming library events on our personal profiles, and it leads to increased exposure and use of our resources, why shouldn't we consider it a useful way to spend our time?

As you can see, I'm all over the place in my thinking. I will continue to contemplate the issue.

No comments: