Book LInks for EKU Reads Committee

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Flickr Fun in Cumberland Falls


I'm sitting in my room at Cumberland Falls State Park working on my EKU Libraries Learning 2.0 lesson for week #3. My afternoon was spent attending The Kentucky Academic Library Summit. Tommorow,we'll continue our discussion and prioritize the pressing issues for our state. Then, SAALCK (state assisted academic library council of Kentucky) will meet for their montly meeting. I am shocked to learn that our state has never before invited academic librarians to gather for a retreat or meeting like the one we're having today. I expect positive outcomes.

Back to flickr- I am having FUN! My experience with uploading photographs has been with shutterfly and kodak. While these tools have been helpful by allowing me to share photograhs with family and friends, I can see advantages to flickr. I like the idea of sharing my photographs outside of my usual confined group of contacts. I also love the tagging capabilities. Unknowingly, I jumped into an option that allows users to post photographs on a map. This would be a fun way to geographically organize images.

Next week Cindi Trainor will take the EKU Library staff on a visual fieldtrip of academic libraries. She had the unique opportunity to accompany her former Dean and a group of architects on a trip to Duke, Emory, Harvard, Rice and Dartmouth. Not many of us have the time or money to travel and see the creative ways institutions of higher learning are designing and recreating spaces for learning. However, flickr is a tool that makes it possible for the academic library community to post pictures of our facilities. The Studio for Academic Creativity promisses to be a flexible and inspiring space for EKU Students. I think it will help our staff to visualize some of the creative spaces we've been imagining and discussing for a very long time.

Elsie Pritchard, the Library Dean at Morehead State University, said something at today's summit that caused me to reconsider our audience for next week's presentation. Many people throughout higher education face similar challenges and discuss the same trends, regardless of the discipline. Student Affairs, Career Counseling and IT departments are all faced with the task of recreating old spaces and thoughtfully designing new ones. I know people across campus would benefit from the pictures that Cindi will share next week. Flickr will allow us to share best practices with our colleagues. Perhaps some will even join us in the library for the presentation.

No comments: